Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thrifted Earth Day - the original way to recycle!

We don't often think of the 1940s & 50s when we think of recycling. After all, back then, if it was new it was always better!

But what about all those ice cold bottles of pop folks used to enjoy on their front stoop? Sure, some of them got kicked to the curb, but most were returned for deposit, washed and re-filled.



I don't know what it is about these old bottles, but I can't stop collecting them.  I have at least 6 dozen, with the usuals (Coke, Pepsi) and a lot of unusual ones, like the pristine set of unused Nehi bottles I bought at a thrift store for $15. That's a little more than I usually pay, but they came with the cool Frank's carrier, so I bit.

I remember that was all we drank as kids- Frank's Orange, Grape, and of course, the legendary Black Cherry Wishniak. I guess Frank's is still around, but I haven't seen it for a while. I remember taking the bottles back to the beer distributor too, way before anyone "recycled."  Does that make me old?

3 comments:

  1. I wish coke still sold 8 oz bottles for everyday use and not a $5 for 6 Novelty. Almost ALL the drinks im getting for our summer part will be of the "pop" variety and they will be in glass bottles just to make it that much more nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can often buy them by the case of 24 where you buy beer. It usually works out to about the same price as four 6 packs though.

    I'm trying to remember how they sold beer in TX- I went to school there for a couple of years, you'd think I would remember that sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Nehi bottles! I want some Polly's Pop ones, but they cost SO much. They were from a local pop maker here in Independence, Missouri. They had a parrot on the front. Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete