Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Woo-hoo, Go me!

Today I saw a number on the scale that I haven't seen in ten years. And that's a good thing, because it had been going the other way much too long!

Ever since my father-in-law passed away this March, my husband and I have been on a mission to get ourselves in better shape. I want to lose 40 pounds, he wanted to lose 25. Since he's a guy, all he has to do is think about it and he lost it...

But for me it's not so easy. I'm sure a lot of you have struggled with your weight, as I have for my whole life. Having had 2 kids in the past five years hasn't helped things for me. I've always been active and went to the gym, but still the pounds weren't coming off. I went and got tested for thyroid conditions and diabetes, and all the results were normal, so guess what? I'm just eating too darn much!

Now I like food and used to cook in a restaurant; I know my way around a pantry, know what I'm sayin'? So I just started eating smaller portions and that was what did it. I don't feel hungry, I don't feel like I'm depriving myself, but I'm just not over-indulging like I used too. I'm also trying to make the best choice I can about what fuel I give to my body. I've never been a big junk-food eater, but now I always ask myself if that bag of chips or piece of cake is really the best choice of calories. And that little bit of extra thought is often enough to make me put it down. So it works for me, and if I can do it you can too!

I'm down 15 pounds now and if I can lose another 15 I think I will treat myself to a whole new vintage wardrobe. Those of you who run vintage shops better get your best stuff out, because I'm comin'! :D

6 comments:

  1. Whoo hoo! Congrats! Sounds like you are doing this thoughtfully and smart. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! I just went through the same type of thing with the weight gain and know how good it feels to lose it. Not only the way you look, but the way you feel. What a difference!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Having a goal like new vintage clothes is always a good motivator :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's unfortunate that grief can make you gain or lose weight--when my first husband died I lost over 50 pounds in the following year, then I met my current hubby and packed those pounds right back on (plus some extra just for good measure). Lose it and keep it off while you're younger because let me tell you, it is nearly impossible to lose it as you age. I'll never give up trying, though. Congratulations to you and your husband. And it's so true about how easy it is for men to lose weight, darn it!

    ReplyDelete