I've recieved my first-ever blog award from Miss Cherry Bubbles! Now I have to tell you seven things about myself, and pass the award along.
1) When I was in high school and college I wanted to play trumpet in a major symphony orchestra. I got my Bachelors of Music in trumpet performance but never got past the audition stage for anything other than local orchestras. So now I teach trumpet and freelance around the area (weddings, funerals, community events, etc.) with a community band and brass quartet.
2) When that didn't pan out, I went back to school and got my Master's in Museum Science. I went to Texas Tech in Lubbock, TX, home of Buddy Holly. I had always wanted to visit Texas, but never been. When I went to check out the school I felt right at home, and loved it down there. If I hadn't been already engaged to my husband here in Pennsylvania, I would have stayed out West. We'll probably retire to the Hill Country some day.
3) Now that I'm mostly a stay-at-home mom, I can really identify with Squidward. I sometimes feel as if I spend my days with Spongebob and Patrick, longing for sophistication.
4) I have always loved aviation. I started taking flying lessons after college and accumulated 72 hours. But I never got my pilot's license before I went to grad school and had no more money. My most recent real job was curator of an aviation museum.
5) My fascination with the past started with Big Band music. The first record album I ever bought was Glenn Miller's Pure Gold, in 1987. I was in 7th grade. Up until that point, I had listened mostly to classical music. Glenn Miller and I have the same birthday.
6) I still have the first car I ever bought new. My 1997 VW Jetta has 180,000 miles on it. I love that car and hope I can drive it forever. Between my mother and I, we have had a VW in the family since 1962. Hers is now a bit newer than mine, a 2009 Jetta.
7) I love to fish. I hunt as well, both archery and gun. I figured I'd never see my husband if I didn't learn to do what he did, and now I really enjoy getting out in nature. But fishing really suits me- the feeling of persistance paying off and the thrill of not knowing what you'll get.
Well, that's a bit about me, now I will pass the award on to these fellow bloggers- check out their blogs, if you haven't already!
My friend Eileen, an art deco dame if there ever was one: http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
Bombs Away, a real-life aviatrix and classy vintage gal
Shannon, another mom just trying to maintain her sanity: http://supermergentroidgal.blogspot.com/
Charlotte at http://tuppencehapennyvintage.blogspot.com/
Rachelle at http://rockabillybombshell.blogspot.com/ who is probably busy having a baby right about now...
And a bonus- I'll give the award to anyone else I didn't mention that can name the song on the sheet music on my header! (See, now that you know I'm a music geek, that isn't just some random image....)