A vintage lady tries to lead a vintage life with a modern family in tow!
Friday, January 7, 2011
Things I love about January!
January is one of my favorite months, and no, I'm not crazy! Maybe it's the whole "new beginning" thing, or the fact that winter is not yet gray and dreary (that would be March).
So here are some of my favorite reasons to love January:
1) Snow. I love to shovel (it's great exercise), my kids can sled in it (there is no better vintage outdoor pastime than piloting an old wood American Flyer down a hill) and I like to drive in it. I know, I said I wasn't crazy, even if you're starting to doubt me now. It's just all the other crazy people out on the roads that make me nervous. But my old 1997 Jetta is a great snow car- especially with a stick shift and an emergency brake for doing doughnuts in my parents' cul-de-sac.
2) Taking down the Christmas decorations. When I was a kid, I used to hate this, but as an adult I like the feeling of moving on and putting away the holiday clutter. Because by mid-January, that's exactly what it is....
3) I'm not yet tired of my wool sweaters and cozy winter outfits.
4) Snuggling under the down comforters with my sweetie. I turn the heat down at night to about 60, so it's nice and chilly....
5) The gym is so crowded, it's pointless to even go! ;)
6) My kids have a whole bunch of new toys, so they don't hassle me as much.
7) It's a great time to roast a whole turkey or chicken- it heats the house up and smells great!
8) Football- from Bowl Games to NFL Playoffs, these are the best football games of the year.
9) It's a great time to thrift- all those people who made New Year's resolutions to declutter bring their goodies to the thrifts!