Friday, May 25, 2012

In the Eye of the Beholder


Tuesday was my daughter's last day of preschool for the summer. Neither one of us was too happy about that, because she just loves school, and I really enjoy my couple hours of free time! Not to mention all the thrifting I've been doing with that free time. But no school means more long-distance thrifting excursions for the both of us, and once my son is out I'll have a second set of practiced eyes to help.

Speaking of practiced eyes, last Tuesday, I was following my own advice and searching for anything and everything in particular. I really have no specific need right now, except for a 1950s media cabinet, but I just get the itch to go shopping about once a week. 

So I just looked through the whole store. I haven't found much clothing at the thrifts lately- which is OK, since I have a ton of stuff I need to list for the store anyway. Been doing pretty well at yard sales... so all I really wanted to do was scratch that itch. I was thinking I might find some Pyrex or pottery. (I did find some Butterprint mixing bowls, but they wanted $15 for the medium and $8 for the small, and that was more than I was willing to pay.)

I don't know what made me do it, but I started looking through one of the bins that had the large framed art pieces. I never look through these- mostly because I wasn't in the market for a ginormous painting, and I don't sell them in my shop. 

I am really glad I did, because this is what I found:


A 1940s airbrushed litho print. I fell in love with it immediately. It's really big- at least 2.5 x 3.5 ft. The frame was a bit chipped, so I repainted it white.


This is the signature on it- as far as I can make out, it is by Turner. Whether that is the studio or the artist, I don't know, but what I do know is that there are quite a few 'Turner' prints out there on ebay and Etsy. But all those that I've seen are airbrushed flowers, or fabulous flamingos. I haven't seen one like this with a woman's figure on it. I absolutely love it.

Thankfully, the colors on it were perfect for our bedroom, so that is where it will stay.


(Can you tell which side of the bed is mine? LOL)



4 comments:

  1. The picture looks fantastic over your bed. And I love the his 'n' hers decor on the beside tables! Much more personalized than the usual unisex compromise decor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very beautiful print, so soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several Turner prints and they are my favorite! And youre right, most are flowers or birds, but that one is really pretty! I love the style of the flowers, they just scream '40's! Great find and it is perfect for the room!

    ReplyDelete