Monday, October 22, 2012

New Kitchen Cabinet Display

One of the things I love best about collecting kitchen items is displaying them in my glass-fronted cabinets. When we bought this house, having cabinets like these was on my wish list. (It definitely wouldn't have been a deal-breaker for sure, but it helped when we looked at this house!)

So it was a perfect place to display some of my collections. For a while I collected printed glassware (another post on that coming soon), and I inherited some really neat red and yellow pottery, which went with my kitchen's yellow, green and red color scheme. Those made a nice display for a while. But lately I've been collecting Pyrex, FireKing and jadeite, and decided to re-organize my displays to better reflect that.

That meant moving things around and re-thinking what I reallly wanted to look at for a while. It took me the better part of a rainy afternoon last week to finally settle on a layout, so to document that, I thought I'd show you all.

Here's the before:


Not too bad, really, but not as organized as I would like. Some of these things have been in the same spot for ten years! Also the clear glassware at the top right kind of disappears. (It's really neat close-up, with etched stars, but would be better put away somewhere else.) You can see the printed glassware all jumbled in the lower right. I figured, since you can't really make it all out, maybe it's best if I put most of it away and only get out only one set at a time.

Here's the finished display, and close ups to follow:


I tried to organize it by color a little bit, with the red and yellow pottery near the yellow and green Fiesta. Then the jadeite and Peach Blossom FireKing (which is a match made in heaven, I think), then the Pyrex on the right.


The Fiestaware is not old (mostly), and our regular everyday dishes, so they have to be easily accessible.


This is probably my favorite one, with the FireKing and jadeite. The printed glasses in the carrier are the only ones to make the cut right now. I bought those about 10 years ago in an antique shop for $18. That was a lot for me, and still would be, although I guess if I were to resell these I probably ask for $75!



The Pyrex cabinet. I am trying really hard to limit myself to just the primary colors set and turquoise Butterprint, plus pink and promotional designs. The lone FireKing wheat casserole in the lower right belonged to my dad, so it still gets a place of honor.

Right now, I'm pretty happy with it and it is a nice change of scenery!



8 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful! I bet you smile everytime you go into the kitchen and look at it! I love all the cheery colors, and there is just something about Pyrex (all on its own) that makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! You've got some amazing things in there too. I've never seen the white dishes with the pink flowers - Fire King?

    My Mom has glass cabinets like that and when I go in her kitchen, I get spellbound from looking at all of the vintage goodies inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pink flowered ones are Fire King Peach Blossom. They are all hand-painted. I am totally in love with all the hand painted FireKing, but have only come across these in any kind of numbers, or I'd probably have a house full of them. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, forgot to mention that if anyone collects Franciscan china, the "Desert Rose" pattern would go perfectly with Peach Blossom.

      Delete
  3. Great Jadeite collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your collection is so bright and cheery that it makes me smile. You have such a happy kitchen for the family to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely! I just got back from my Nebraska trip and I found 5 of the Peach Blossom Mugs! So much pretty stuff in the Heartland of America!

    ReplyDelete