Friday, January 9, 2015

A Red Letter Day

Hello friends, it's good to have you here! I know, I've been a bad blogger and haven't updated in a while. I hope you are still reading!

I have been getting out to the thrifts again, after taking a bit of a break in December. I just have way too much stuff and when I got the holiday decorations out, I realized I have to clear some stuff out. So a lot got donated- things that didn't fit or had issues, and I couldn't sell them for what I needed to get. There are some that believe in thrift karma; that is, when you donate good stuff, you get good stuff. Well, I think that was the case with today's excursions. I took a bunch of stuff to the thrift store and came home with some better stuff!


It was a banner day for MCM, as you can see. But first, the Pyrex, as always. I have not been finding a lot of Pyrex lately, mostly because I know some of the thrift stores I frequent have been putting it all on ebay. Which kind of sucks, because that is what primarily gets me in the door right now- if you put it all on ebay, I have little reason to come and shop the rest of your store. But some always slips through the cracks and dinnerware is a prime example of that. The lime plate is actually a chop plate or a platter, and I don't have anything that size (it's over 12" diameter- that's a regular dinner plate in front of it below) so I bought that. I would like to find more lime plates to mix in with my turquoise- I love that color combo.



These turquoise melamine dishes are Russel Wright- I love this style and have a few other small pieces, but nothing close to the whole set. It would take me forever to collect it, most likely, so I may let these go. But right now the little handled bowls are getting a lot of use holding snacks for the kids.


At one of the thrifts I went to, someone had donated a whole Mickey Mouse collection, including a lot of older pieces from back into the 60s. I picked out this gumball machine and will try to resell it in my booth- we'll see how it goes!





All right, I know you all are here for the Finel bowl, so I'll get right to it....



 But first, I did get a Fire King Blue Heaven custard cup- isn't it cute?  :) hehe



OK, so I have been seeing these online for a long time, and loving them. The graphics are so amazing on all the Finel Arabia bowls, and the heart one is so iconic. I read on the Recycle-ista's blog about her finding one after imagining she would and it got me doing the same thing. I was reading her blog, thinking, that's so cool that she found one just like she had been hoping for, wouldn't that be neat to happen next time I go into a store...?

And what do you know...there, in the middle of the Valentine's Display it sat. I have never seen one in person, so I was surprised at how large it is! But now I have one, and I promise you I am already dreaming about my next find, and hoping that dreams will come true all over again!

8 comments:

  1. The heart bowl is wonderful! Sir Thrift A lot found one too!
    I hadn't seen one before his post the other day. Now if only I could find one! :)
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting about your Finel bowl! Lucky you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I'm not the only one who believes in Thrift Karma. That's why I always drop off my donations BEFORE I go into the store, so the gods know I've made an offering!
    Love the Russel Wright melamine - I have 2 trays from that line, and recently got a divided vegetable at the Philadelphia Museum of Art of all places-! I thought it was the repro RW I saw up in Massachusetts, but this appears to be the real deal.
    I know the feeling about wanting to do a bit of a "cull" after the Xmas goes away. Time to shake things up a bit, and I'm trying to remind myself of Quality not Quantity!

    Hope to see you soon, lady! Just posted about the latest Retro Roadmap roundup - Backstage at the Wanamaker Organ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to get to that; I was just down there yesterday. I haven't been "backstage" before, though, so that will be fun. I'll send you an email to confirm. :)

      Delete
  4. That heart bowl is the best! I found one a couple of weeks ago too! It's a little bit too MCM for my daily collections and displays but will go perfect with my Valentine's Day decor.

    Glad to see you are finding some good stuff in your break from the blog. Have an awesome weekend!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susie, good to see ya back posting. Looks like you are starting 2015 out in a good way. Nice find. Good luck in your future searches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2015 is starting off with a BANG!

    Great find! The bowl was larger than I imagined, too. Was a little shocked! I love having it. So great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you on the the purging. I'm cutting back thrifting, I find too much good stuff I suppose and I can't use it all. And selling isn't so easy. You got a lot of great finds--very exciting!

    ReplyDelete