Friday, January 3, 2014

I'm a crafty sort...

...not really. Actually, I never make stuff. Me and hot glue just don't get along.

But I had an idea to make one of those vintage lightbulb/ornament wreaths. Since we use those big colored lights to outline our house, I happened to have a bunch of spare lightbulbs. And today we're snowed in, so it was a good day to do a project.



It took me two years to get my act together and do it though (hey, it took a while to collect all those burned out bulbs!) but it was really easy. And believe me, if I am saying that about a craft, it must be. It only took about an hour and I got to use some of the ornaments I thrifted yesterday (for 75% off!) Which was great, because once I got them home I realized I was going to have to store them for another whole year before putting them up... so win, win!


 And since I had the glue gun out, I also fixed up this bottle brush wreath I have had for years. It needed something, so I added the "Merry Christmas" sign and a few bird ornaments. I had been thinking about bleaching it (as you can see above, our front door is red, and this just wouldn't stand out) but then I decided to hang it in front of my living room mirror.  Perfect! 


9 comments:

  1. Congrats on being crafty! I'm not the crafty sort either - but today I finished a project I had been putting off for years. Must be the weather. What a nice sense of accomplishment, eh? Happy New Year to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks Great! I love what you did to the bottle brush wreath, it looks great on that mirror! Your front door wreath looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes getting crafty is easier than we think! Great job on the wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both wreaths are beautiful. You just thought you weren't crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to make one of those wreaths so bad this Christmas. I even bought all of the supplies I needed but still never got around to it. I think I need to try to do my Christmas crafting during the off season. It just gets too chaotic to try and add it into everything else that needs to get done during the holidays. Both of your wreaths look great and I've definitely been inspired to start mine soon!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Now if we could only make large pine cone wreaths like our grandmother- right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wreath is GORGEOUS! I had to laugh when you said it took you two years to make it. I have a bunch of vintage bulbs that I really want to make a wreath with, but I don't have nearly enough and it's been about 5 years now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susie, I like the fact that you did it yourself. I find that sometimes it makes sense to put you own ideas to work and see how they turn out, good or bad, they work for you.

    ReplyDelete