Friday, August 17, 2012

Not Imaginary Anymore

Hello world, it's been a long time! I can't believe how August has flown by. We've had a lot of fun around these parts and it hasn't left much time for blogging. But isn't that what summer is for anyway?

I had the wonderful opportunity this year to meet some of my fellow bloggers in person. For someone who used to be fairly shy and introspective, this is a big deal. I think a lot of us get into blogging to try to express our outward desires and passions to a larger community of friends than what we can cultivate right in our hometowns. I don't think I really thought about that consciously when I started this blog, but it has definitely been true. I love the community I have found and it seems only natural to try to meet some of the other bloggers who are withing driving distance.

So, my summer has been a bit transformed into a journey of new friends and new opportunities. I have been a huge fan of MaryDeluxe's blog Welcome to Deluxeville since I started blogging. I loved her style and personality, which come through so clearly on her blog. Well, lucky me, she lived nearby and we got to emailing and finally had lunch one day. And both being somewhat hoarders of vintage :) we decided to open a booth together in an antique mall.

Photo taken by MaryDeluxe- my photos never come out so well there!

It's been an adventure so far and a lot of work, but most importantly, I've gained a great new friend!

I also had the opportunity to meet up with another fellow blogger last week while I was on vacation up at the cabin. I loved following MissCherryBubbles' blog Past Life and hadn't heard from her for a while. I knew she wasn't that far from the town where our cabin is and decided to try to get together.

SusieQT and MissCherryBubbles

Well, that was a great idea! We hit it off right away and had a great time together. I think the little luncheonette had to kick us out because they wanted to close for the day- so we took ourselves across the street and did a little thrifting. What could be better while on vacation?

It's great to meet fellow bloggers in person and make some new 'real' friends- as opposed to virtual, or 'imaginary' friends ;). I highly recommend it.





9 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you are meeting folks lik that! Also congrats on opening the booth together. I love reading her page too. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, THANK YOU! I'm really happy that we had the opportunity to meet and become friends too and have an antique booth adventure together!

    Glad to see MissCherryBubbles is doing well and that you gals had so much fun! Cute picture lady....so when are we having gal weekend at the cabin??? I'll bring the tequila! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've met several blogging friends in person, and, like you, I highly recommend it. You already have common interests and know so much about each other from the blogs that there's no awkwardness or lack of topics to talk about.

    Congratulations on your booth with MaryDeluxe. I hope it's wildly successful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on my way, Tasha from By Gum By Golly and I are suppose to meet up in Chicago next weekend. I have already met Jamie from Musings of a Mid Century Mom, she is super nice. I started my blog to me other vintage lovers and so far so good on the friend front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovin' the lockers! I found some huge ones, but like the littler ones better! Good for you on the booth, and Mary Deluxe must be a blast to hang with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So terrific to meet you in person! I had a great time - thank you bunches for inviting me :)

    Say, your booth with Mary Deluxe looks swell - I'm a big fan of Skotch Kooler stuff and those lockers are keen.

    I agree with Mary D - we oughta have a gals weekend - we could have cocktails and play mah jongg or pinochle whilst sharing the latest vintage gossip ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great idea- we definitely have to do that!

      Delete
  7. Oh how fun to see that virtual vintage pals actually got to meet in real life! I'm trying to set up a similar type of meet and greet at Sine's in Q-town on Saturday 9/15. Would love to meet you in person!

    Mod Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I have a rehearsal from 12-3 that afternoon but could stop by on the way back, anytime after that. Let me know!

      Delete